Fish soup or seafood soup can be the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day. If you want to have a variety of preparation methods for cooking your catches, you may want to learn how to make fish stock. This way, you can add fish stock soup to your list of recipes.
Fish Stock Ingredients
You can use fish like red snapper, trout, or flounder to make fish stock — just assemble the following ingredients for an easy fish stock recipe:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves (whole)
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 spring onions
- 2 leeks
- 1 large carrot (roughly chopped)
- 1 pound fish head
- 4-5 shrimp heads
- A bunch of fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups water
Once you have your ingredients ready, just follow these directions to learn how to cook your catch and turn into a tasty culinary seafood creation.
Fish Stock Recipe: Cooking Instructions
Once you’ve gathered all of the ingredients, learning how to make fish stock isn’t hard. Follow these seven simple steps to make fish stock for cooking.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, peppercorns, garlic, and bay leaves. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add spring onions and leeks. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the carrot (roughly chopped), fish head, and shrimp heads. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add fresh parsley and water. Cover the pot and cook on medium-high heat until the water comes to a boil.
- Once the water reaches a boiling point, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the broth (so that you only have the liquid and discard the rest of the ingredients.)
- Use the fish stock immediately or refrigerate it for a maximum of 2-3 days
That’s all you have to do to make fish stock. Bon appétit!