No matter how advanced someone gets in a skill or hobby, we all start out as beginners. Fishing is one of those sports that can seem intimidating at first because of so many factors to consider – equipment, location, technique, fishing behavior, weather, temperature, tides – but the best advice for all beginners is to just do it hold. There are a few basic things you will need to get started. Here is a list of essential freshwater fishing equipment for beginners.
Freshwater fishing equipment for beginners
- Rod and reel. For your initial setup, choose a pre-wound, pre-assembled rod and reel combination. A 1000 to 3000 size spinning reel attached to a 7 foot medium action rod is a great setup for learning.
- Fishing line. When purchasing a pre-wound rod and reel setup, you don't have to worry about choosing your own fishing line for the time being.
- Approach. Tackle is fun when choosing freshwater fishing equipment for beginners. Bait hooks, bait, soft plastic bait – these fish candies will attract your favorite species to bite. Ask your local bait and fishing shop what is best for the species or body of water you are fishing and they will be happy to point you in the right direction.
- Knot binding book. First, learn a basic knot that you can rely on. You can also find lots of free videos online.
- Line cutter. Fishing can take a lot of knots. Use line cutters to trim off any excess lines. You can also use fingernail clippers or household scissors for an easy hack.
- Dehooker or pliers. A dehooking tool is an indispensable freshwater fishing tackle for beginners and will help you remove the hook from the fish's mouth easily and without damage.
- A fishing license. Each state has its own licensing requirements. Make sure you get your fishing license and know the local fishing regulations before you go on the water.
If you are just starting to learn to fish, there are also plenty of free resources available online, including even more freshwater fishing equipment for beginners. Research is valuable, but the important part is that you get outside and have fun fishing!